Well, as my friend Ted Uzzle use to say, "The Laws of Physics and Acoustics are very precise, and punish severely those who transgress."
They'll figure it out - we can only point the way...
Has anyone else noticed the "high-end"/"audiophile" tweakers entering this forum with their unthinking following of psuedo-science? We could end up like the HiEff Asylum which is now a trivial shadow of its old self.
Maybe us older members have just given up on setting the newer(?) generation of Forum members right on some basic physics?
WHAT DO YOU THINK?
Marshall.
Well, as my friend Ted Uzzle use to say, "The Laws of Physics and Acoustics are very precise, and punish severely those who transgress."
They'll figure it out - we can only point the way...
Todd W. White, Owner & Webmaster
Altec Lansing's (unofficial) Homepage
I like my speakers how I like my women, it comes down to BiB... Bigger is better!! heh..
-chris
Let's hope not!
Cheers
aah .... a tower, made of ivory ... interesting.
Why not create an admission test for novices, then decline would be certain and swift.
Kjartan
Hi, Kjartan,
My post was not aimed at the discriminating high-end/audiophile population, thus the "......". Further, it did not suggest exclusion of anyone.
It was a call for some rational response when untested assumptions are offered as fact. All are welcome to put their views forward. All are welcome to comment.
I, for one, do not wish to see this forum become an ivory tower.
Cheers, Marshall.
Sorry to say..things are what they are. People will always believe in magic wire, alternate realities will always be a part of this hobby. But, they seek therefore they shall find. Underhung motors, copper in the magnetic circuit and light moving parts are about to be rediscovered by the unwashed masses. Soon enough we will be just like them only older.
This is an interesting topic. I'm glad someone brought it up. I am a newbe here and ignorant about much in the way of audio theory as well as speaker systems. I am reluctant to post for several reasons. Maybe there are others that feel the same as I do.
1, A lot of the discussions are WAY over my head. Some of the abbreviations used here are confusing since I have no clue what they mean for the most part. This is not a complaint, just an observation. I have joined the forum to become more educated, so I am picking up more information as read, but do not post. Maybe others do as well.
2, There seems to be a group of individuals on the forum that know each other quite well and post comments back and forth that don't really pertain to any real audio discussion. Again, not a complaint, just an observation.
3, I may have a question that may seem obvious to the regular members, but I am reluctant to ask as I don't want to sound like an idiot. Again, maybe others do as well.
All in all, I really enjoy the forum and have learned a lot. The members seem very knowledgeable and for the most part eager to respond to comments. I also enjoy the photos of other people's systems. I have a pair of 846B Valencias and enjoy them immensely. Although I am not familiar with all of the Altec products, I consider them some of the best ever built. I really enjoy the information here and have gained a new respect for my Altecs as some people I know have said they are out dated and the new smaller speakers have taken their place in the audio world.
I thank those responsible for this forum and please do not think I wish to show a negative view. I certainly do not, but since the subject came up I thought as a new and ignorant guy I would comment on my observations. Thanks for allowing me to comment.
MM...![]()
Welcome Marvin,,,
I wouldn't worry about asking questions, I would only worry about it if you were new and it was your first post and you are demanding to know prices or argue with someone in the know about the actual value of your said goods...
Other than that most of the times I have seen the same questions asked and answered in a respectable manner......
I do not assume someone is ignorant, even if the question has been asked a hundred times, unless you fall in to the above category. Bu those types rarely last in a forum or I am willing to bet that they are not the best to be around in person either... so their duration isn't usually long in any forum/online community.
I , like you has some trepidation when I first came into the audio forums, not wanting to sound silly or stupid,,, but you have to learn to swim somehow... Also the search option I learned after a while become a great resource. But sometimes those searches can lead you in a big circle, and then you have to finally post... And there is always Google......
You're input, with your experiences, no matter how great or small will help contribute to the community...
But again ,, welcome , and ask away...
-chris
I too maintained a little distance when I first joined but eventually just dive in, the water's warm.
Yeah, all forums are that way, the regular members develop friendships here and that's a good thing I think.2, There seems to be a group of individuals on the forum that know each other quite well and post comments back and forth that don't really pertain to any real audio discussion. Again, not a complaint, just an observation.
Yeah, I think I've asked some dumb questions...but never got smacked too hard. If a new member asks a question that's been answered a million times in previous threads then sometimes it's obvious that the new guy didn't get acquainted with the basics before posting. Some topics have been covered in depth but I STILL don't understand exactly what is being addressed so it's sometimes necessary to ask the question anyway.3, I may have a question that may seem obvious to the regular members, but I am reluctant to ask as I don't want to sound like an idiot. Again, maybe others do as well.
I agree... I always like it when I think I know what I'm doing and then one of the guys here on the forum sets me straight. But really, that's what this hobby is about...learning. I can never understand why some folks get sensitive over someone writin' a few words in a post and gettin' bent out of shape...I mean who cares? And yeah Altecs are d a m good. My Dad had systems like these years ago and for the last 20 years I've wondered why the new stuff sounds so awful in comparison. Ever since I've got my own altec inspired system up and running...well it's like I got the power back....why did I wait so long?All in all, I really enjoy the forum and have learned a lot. The members seem very knowledgeable and for the most part eager to respond to comments. I also enjoy the photos of other people's systems. I have a pair of 846B Valencias and enjoy them immensely. Although I am not familiar with all of the Altec products, I consider them some of the best ever built. I really enjoy the information here and have gained a new respect for my Altecs as some people I know have said they are out dated and the new smaller speakers have taken their place in the audio world.
I thank those responsible for this forum and please do not think I wish to show a negative view. I certainly do not, but since the subject came up I thought as a new and ignorant guy I would comment on my observations. Thanks for allowing me to comment.
MM...![]()
![]()
Bookmarks